Wednesday, February 17, 2010

"...That's OK, I Make Lamb!"



One of my all-time favorite movies is My Big Fat Greek Wedding! People don't really believe me, but this is REALLY my life! I have a very large Middle-Eastern family that bases it's existence on it's heritage, which includes frequent family gatherings, blaring Arabic music, and lots of food!! And if that didn't convince you that this movie is based on my life, my mother even calls me "Natoula"!

My favorite quote from this movie comes from Toula's crazy little aunt, Aunt Voula, who asks her niece's new American boyfriend to come over for dinner, hoping to convince him that she is the best cook in the family (another typical trait from the women in my family). Toula explains to her aunt that her boyfriend is a vegetarian and doesn't eat any meat. "What do you mean you don't eat no meat?!" In complete shock, the entire room stops and stares at the couple, however, Aunt Voula cuts the tension by saying, "Oh, it's ok, I make lamb." HAHAHA!



As disappointed as Aunt Voula would be at me for saying this, I think she would've understood that I won't be eating meat today. It's Ash Wednesday and the start of the Lent season. I'm not only giving up eating meat on Wednesdays and Fridays for the next 40 days, I'm also giving up fried foods. Yes, I said it, ALL fried foods. While I don't think of myself as a poor eater, I do enjoy my chips, fries, and chicken fingers every so often! I will have to think before ordering at a restaurant or shopping down the chips aisle at the grocery store, this act of penance and discipline is really alright by me!

Have you seen My Big Fat Greek Wedding? What are you giving up for lent?

1 comments:

Sarah Elizabeth said...

Aah! Just like you- I love this movie! It's hilarious and I've spent 4 years trying to convince Ryan to watch it with me. If you haven't yet, rent I Hate Valentine's Day with Nia Vardolas and John Corbit. They're too cute together!

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails